Nga Manawa 1.5.03
WALT: Use clues in text, along with prior knowledge to help comprehension.
1. What is the difference between seawater and freshwater? The fresh has nothing in it and the seawater has salt .
2. Why don’t nga manawa grow in the South Island of New Zealand? It is too cold for them to grow.✓
3. Describe what a mangrove plant does to breath? Then the plants seed up tall breathing roots into the air so that the mangroves can breathe oxygen. ✓
4. List 4 animals that like to live in mangrove forests? tuna,tio,patiki,and tamure ✓
5. Why else are mangrove plants useful? List 2 other reasons from pages 16 and 18.In the past, mangrove forest have sometimes been drained for buliding on or used as rubbish dumps.The mangrove forest is like a pataka. Many kinds of fish, shellfish, and birds live and breed there. In the old days, Maori and gathered fresh, delicious food from the mangrove forest.
6. How did the mangrove leaves help keep fish cool? When they had gathered fish from the mangrove swamps, our tupuna used the mangrove leaves to the fish going bad in the sun.
7. Why are nga manawa thought to be taonga? The mangrove forest of Aotearoa have been taonga since ancient times. Lets hope they will still be here to protect our our coast in the future.
Early finishers - Draw a picture of nga manawa using sumo paint and post to your blog.