WALT: Analyze surface features and the language used. Look beyond the text - Inferencing
1. UNFURL - Find out the meaning of this word and then write a sentence of your own to show the meaning. make or become spread out from a rolled or folded state, especially in order to be open to the wind.
2. How do you tell which way the wind is coming from? You can tell which way the wind is coming form is that if you go and stand pop your face out you can kind of feel the wind and you also can tell which way the wind is coming from.
3. Can you think of a another way of finding out? Ask a classmate to test out your theory.
4. What makes the Optimist so sturdy, safe and unsinkable? Explain your answer:The centerboard help ‘s the Optimist sailing dinghies to balance on the water.
5. Make as many smaller words as you can from the words ‘Optimist Sailing Dinghies’:
6. Find the meaning of each of these sailing related words:
The rigging is noun, the system of ropes, cables, or chains employed to support a ship's masts (standing rigging ) and to control or set the yards and sails ( running rigging ).
a flat piece, usually of wood, metal, or plastic, hinged vertically near the stern of a boat or ship for steering.
a horizontal bar fitted to the head of a boat's rudder post and used as a lever for steering.